Thursday, November 22, 2012

That One Smile


10:30 AM.

It was thirty minutes past the hour of ten in the morning. The sun was beaming glaringly everywhere. I rushed to my building and swiftly glided across the room, so not to catch everyone’s attention. All I could hear were strokes of the keyboard. I was late. I was thirty minutes late. I told myself, ‘maybe everybody’s just a little early’.

I jumped onto my seat, pushed the lever up to elevate my position. I turned my laptop on and checked a pile of emails waiting to be read; each one was tagged ‘highly important’.

My morning was busy, I started the day with the usual routines I often do at work. I moved out from my desk and hopped into a meeting; it lasted two hours.

12:45 NN.

Fifteen minutes before lunchtime, I got back at my seat with a deep breath. My stomach has been out of control and its sound has become more noticeable and inevitable. I was hungry. I haven’t eaten other than a piece of bread I took from the pastry basket at the pantry.

I gave a quick turn while seated on my red chair. I stumbled upon her seated a meter away from me, she looks unfamiliar. I was puzzled and my face has shown profoundly. She was talking to this guy and has changed desk from one to another.

I was looking at her delicately. I examined her gestures, her movement, her smiles. I constantly gazed to see her face, yet I couldn't look for so long. For some reasons, I was a little shy even though she is unaware of my secret stares.

Suddenly, I felt a quick force from my back. My boss tapped me and said ‘Yeah, she’s a new hire’. I looked at him and laughed. He must have noticed me looking at her.  

I immediately went to my pal’s desk. ‘Since when did she got here?’  I asked.  She’s been there since this morning, I saw her when I came in’ she said.

She left the office that day without me noticing her descent again. But the next morning, she sat at the same seat, exactly a meter away from me. When I got in, I gave her a quick look. But she caught my eyes at her. I looked down, as if nothing happened. She had bright cream skin, her eyes were chinky and innocent, her hair her were well brushed down. She wore a black cardigan with a tucked navy blue top.

During lunch, I looked at her swiftly, she looked back at me. And I looked down in embarrassment again. I kept my eyes away since then.

6:50PM

It was almost seven in the evening. I was packing up my things for home. I turned back, but she was already gone. She must have gone home ahead. I continued packing and started my way to open the door to the lobby.

I was surprised to see her waiting for the lift.  The door opened. She came in, I followed. It was just the two us. She pressed the ground button and I looked at her hand and gracefully shifted my sight to see her eyes. An awkward silence wrapped the space. She smiled. I gave back a shy smirk.

Hi.’ The word involuntarily slipped my tongue.
Hi.’ She said back. Thank goodness.
I’m John’. I offered my hand to shake.
Anna’. She took my hand. 
A cling sound suddenly interrupted and the door opened. ‘I’ll see you around, John’.

She stepped out and gave me yet again, that one smile that melts me every time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment